Professional writing software like Final Draft is not necessary when you’re just starting out. There are cheaper alternatives.
We used to recommend Celtx, but since going from free to a paid model and “browser only” interface, we haven’t tried the paid version.
The best free app we’ve seen recently is Trelby, which is a stand alone app for Windows and Linux.
If you’re using any cloud software, it’s important to back up your work to your home PC. Don’t rely on web apps to save your files forever!
- Celtx web app subscription – browser based, $14.99 monthly
- Celtx Mac app – $19.99 – Mac only
- Fade In – $79.95 – Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Final Draft – as low as $169 on various sites
- Highland – $29.99 – Mac only
- Movie Magic Screenwriter – as low as $129 on various sites
- Slugline – $20 for Ipad/Iphone, $40 for Mac
- WriterDuet – browser based, first 1 script free, then $11.99 a month